The mission of the Piedmont Governor’s School for Mathematics, Science, and Technology is to provide a challenging, project-driven, research-based curriculum in a technology-infused environment. The school is designed for academically gifted, highly motivated, and high achieving eleventh (11th) and twelfth (12th) grade students from Danville City, Henry County, Martinsville City, and Pittsylvania County school divisions.
- To provide qualified participants with educational experiences that promote interest in and develop skills related to mathematics, science, and technology through research-based projects;
- To provide hands-on, project-based interdisciplinary learning challenges in a laboratory setting that will develop students’ critical thinking, problem-solving, teamwork and presentation skills;
- To provide an environment that fosters a broad exchange of ideas that promotes social, ethical, and personal growth through interaction among students with diverse educational and cultural backgrounds;
- To offer a well-defined curriculum that facilitates the transition from high school to college;
- To promote the applicability of mathematics, science, and technology to the real world environment;
- To empower staff, students, and parents to be actively involved in a collaborative interdisciplinary process; and
- To serve as a resource for schools and communities.